The Charlotte Writers' Club hosts seven annual contests. Writers may enter more than one contest and submit multiple entries. However, contest entries that have placed in any CWC contest are no longer eligible for future submission, regardless of calendar year. For example, if you win honorable mention or first, second, or third place in the Members Prize, you may not submit that piece again for the CWC Nonfiction Contest.
For guidelines, deadlines and area restriction, see general contest eligibility information below, or click on each individual contests for specific guidelines.
Click here for Manuscript Requirements, Eligibility & Submission Information
All CWC Contests
Contests appear in order of their deadlines throughout the club's year.
Click on the contest name for more details.
Members Prize (poetry, fiction & nonfiction)
For members only in all genres.
CWC Nonfiction Contest (article/essay)
Nonfiction from 750-2000 words.
Children's Story Contest (open to NC/SC residents of all ages)
Fiction for readers 8-12 years old.
Anthony Abbott Undergraduate Poetry Competition
For North Carolina full-time or part-time undergraduate students
Deane Ritch Lomax Poetry Prize
Poetry of fewer than 50 lines; haiku excluded.
Ruth Moose Flash Fiction Prize
Short fiction of up to 500 words.
Elizabeth Simpson Smith Contest
Deadline: May 21, 2013
A short story between 1500-4000 words.
Eligibility, Entry Fees & Manuscript Requirements
- See specific contest for individual awards.
- Awards will be presented at a monthly CWC meeting.
- See individual contests for fees.
- To become a member, attach $30 check payable to Charlotte Writers Club to manuscript ($20 for students; $40 for couples). Membership year runs from September to May.
- Online submissions are preferred and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. All author contact information should be included in the email only; the attached submission in MSWord or RichText must remain anonymous.
- Online payments of submission fees should be made at the time the submission is made and using the Donate button in the left column.
- Mail submissions may be sent to the P.O. Box as stated below.
MANUSCRIPTS (mailed or as attached by email)
- Multiple entries are allowed, but a separate fee must accompany each.
- Name must NOT appear on manuscript.
- Entries must be typewritten, double-spaced (except poetry, which must be single-spaced) in 12-point Times Roman font, and on one side of paper only.
- Mail-in submissions must include two copies and a cover sheet or 3x5 index card with submission title, author's name, "member" or "non-member," address, phone number, and e-mail address.
- NOTE: For the Members Prize, members and members-to-be ONLY can submit manuscripts.
- Title and word count (or lines of poetry) must appear in the upper left of first page of manuscript.
- MEMBERS PRIZE ONLY: Your statement that you are not a former winner (First, Second, Third) of a CWC contest.
- Entries must be original and unpublished.
- Two successive first prizes in any one category make the winner ineligible for that category for one year.
- Any single work can be winner or runner-up in one CWC Contest only, regardless of calendar year.
Online submissions must be received by midnight of the due date. Mailed submissions must be postmarked by the deadline listed. Submissions may be given to the Contest Chair at the CWC meeting on or before the evening of the deadline. Failure to comply with the rules may cause entry to be disqualified. Send inquiries with SASE or email Contest Chair.
Winner(s) will be invited to read the winning entry at a club meeting.
Online submissions are preferred and should be sent to email@example.com.
Those without email may send submissions to:
CONTEST NAME Submission
Charlotte Writers' Club
P.O. Box 220954
Charlotte, NC 28222
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.